Approximately 75 Senior Residents Displaced After Madonna House Fire
On Monday, May 16th more than 75 seniors were displaced from their homes after their apartment complex caught fire at approximately 10pm. This fire caused significant damage to one wing of the building. Luckily, the fire was confined to the attic, but left significant smoke and water damage to the 4th floor of that wing.
The apartments that are on floors 1-3 also suffered from water damage, but the left wing of the building sustained no trauma from the fire and those who lived in those apartments were able to go back into their rooms at approximately 3:30am on Tuesday, May 17. Support efforts are still ongoing for those who have been displaced from their homes at the Madonna House. At this point in time many of the displaced residents are temporarily housed at the at the Clarion Hotel and Suites and the Sleep Inn.
The City of Fredericksburg Department of Social Services, with help from the Fredericksburg Regional Continuum of Care and the American Red Cross have been diligently working to identify relief funds and other housing options. They have also made sure to meet with each resident individually to develop a plan for them.
Due to the damage caused by the fire, the renovations will require several months of construction before the residents will be able to move back in. Many of these residents have lost all of their belongings so the fundraising efforts are still ongoing.
The Fredericksburg Social Services is receiving donations in the form of gift cards the the Healthy Generations Rappahannock Area Agency on Aging has a Go Fund Me named “Help for Fire Displaced Madonna House Residents”. All of the the funds will be used to help with expenses and other needs that the residents may come across.